Wednesday 25 February 2015

Miss Havisham Hair

Miss Havisham Hair 

Miss Havisham had bridal flowers in her hair which means that she was dressed up for a wedding. Bridal flowers means a bridal hairstyle hence why I decided to go with a traditional beautiful Victorian hairstyle.
My main inspiration for the hair that I created for Miss Havisham was ringlet curles that was so popular in the 19th century.


I was inspired by this hairstyle created by Bunny who is a Youtube beauty guru. I really liked the sides of the hairstyle where it was curled and pinned back with lose hair hanging out from the sides which would look good for Miss Havishams character as she is only half dressed. Miss Havisham was also in a lot of chaos which would have caused her hair to fall out and become messy, however I had to be careful with how I made it look messy because Victorian hairstyles would have been done very professionally especially bridal hair making it very crisp and tight, which meant that I couldn't have it frizzed all over the place I needed to show a base of a beautiful Victorian bridal hair.

For the hairstyle i started of with a ponytail as a base and then started to curl the hair with very thing tongs and pin it up. I carried on like this for the rest of the hair and added flowers on the sides in the end. I am happy with how the hairstyle turned out as it looks very innocent and bridal which shows how Miss Havisham was before she was wronged. Although some of the curls ended up to be messy, in my opinion it still worked with the whole concept since Miss Havisham was described to look 'battered'.

To improve I would make sure that the middle parting is very crisp and obvious as it was a feature used in the Victorian era. Also I would work on hiding the pins better underneath the hair as it looks very unprofessional, I would do this by pinning the hair underneath different strands of hair. Lastly to complete Miss Havisham I would stain the flowers and make them look dusty to fit it with her surroundings because It would be weird if she was surrounded by dust and decay but the flowers on her head were white and clean.

Having completed a client consultation sheet for Harriet previously I already knew that her hair was very thick which is why i used the curlers on a higher heat.

List of products used :

- Cape

-Thin curlers

- Bobbi pins

- Sectioning clips

-Hair brush

-Hair mouse & Hair spray

-Bridal Flower clips

- Thin comb

Overall I was happy with the outcome because the hairstyle looked bridal which is how i wanted to portray, I was pleased with how the curls sat as i wanted them to be messy as when the time stopped Miss Havisham was in chaos which would result in her hair becoming lose and undone. Even though the pins are showing through the hair which is very unprofessional in the end I liked the outcome because it added on to the messiness of the hair.

Step by step in creating this hair style :

- Brush hair
-Create a middle parting and section it into 3 strands on each side and clip them aside
-Create a v shape parting down the middle of the hair and add a ponytail
- Split the ponytail into 4 parts and curl and pin it to the hair
-Curl the rest of the hair and pin it around the  ponytail
-Loosen up bits to make it look messy
-Add flowers






No comments:

Post a Comment